Monday, November 16, 2009

the beginning

It started back in 2004, when I was having a lot of pain and pressure at the back of my head and I just wasn't feeling quite right. I kept telling my family that I thought something was wrong with me. I made an appt with a neurologist and after having an MRI he said that I had Chiari but "wasn't going to worry about it"
well, I didn't like that answer! I had done a lot of research and was in a lot of pain....so I went to TCI and got more information about Chiari. At that time Dr. Bolognase told me that we would just wait because I was still living comfortably. I was working full time and not having too much pain.

Fast forward to this year.

one of the things that causes me a lot of pain is stress and my full time job was causing me stress. I would come home every night and cry. I was in so much pain. I would sit at work and hardly be able to move because I was in so much pain. After talking it over with my husband, we determined that my health was the most important thing, and I quit.
It wasn't an easy decision, I had been there for over 14 years!

I made an appointment to see Dr. Bejjani. He and I talked and decided to go ahead with surgery. Because my quality of life is not where I want it to be. and there is a 70% chance it will get better? of course I realize this surgery is not a cure. But I am hoping that it will at least alleviate some of my pain. And that it stops the progression.

I have known about this surgery for 5 weeks now. And it has taken me sooo much to come to acceptance and be calmer about it. I was sooo afraid. I am still afraid but I feel better. Hard to explain. I was just worried because I have 4 daughters and want to be here for them.

I am more at PEACE now because I know that GOD will be with me and carry me through and I will wake up and the girls, Gary and mom will be waiting for me :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your decompression! I will be following your journey:) I hope that you have someone that can keep us updated after the surgery. I will be praying that it helps make your pain more tolerable. My husband is in discussion about the possibility of a 2nd decompression.

    ReplyDelete